Area Entrepreneurs, Businesses and Educators Recognized for Leadership, Innovation
The Charlottesville Business Innovation Council (CBIC) is pleased to release a list of finalists for the 19th Annual CBIC Awards. Twenty-five local organizations and individuals are being recognized with nominations for nine coveted CBIC awards including CBIC Educator of the Year, which comes with a $2,500 technology grant and CBIC Student Entrepreneur of the Year, which comes with a $1,000 grant, and the CBIC Volunteer of the Year, which is announced during the gala.
The CBIC Awards honor Central Virginia's most innovative organizations, startups and individuals and highlight technology, innovation, and entrepreneurial excellence. A list of all the 2017 CBIC Award finalists is below. Award recipients will be announced live at the 2017 CBIC Awards Gala on Thursday, May 18, at the Boar's Head Inn, where local businesses, government, and education leaders will mingle together in an evening of entertainment and celebration.
CBIC Executive Director Tracey Greene, co-chair of the gala, explains the importance of the CBIC Awards to central Virginia: "This annual gathering seeks to inspire and inform as well as to further the creation of a community where we celebrate each other's accomplishments and recognize individual contributions to our innovation-based ecosystem. The gala also encourages attendees to develop relationships that create a fertile future for growth and expansion."
Tickets for the 2017 CBIC Awards Gala, including cocktail reception featuring Innovators Row – a showcase of startups – and a celebratory champagne ceremony, are available for purchase online from the Charlottesville Business Innovation Council.
2017 CBIC Awards Finalists
CBIC Business of the Year
- PsiKick http://www.psikick.com
- Silverchair https://www.silverchair.com/
- VividCortex http://vividcortex.com
CBIC Educator of the Year
- Jamee Freitag, Second Grade Teacher, Albemarle County Public Schools
- Stephanie Passman, Gifted Resource Teacher, Albemarle County Public Schools
- Matt Shields, Science Teacher, Charlottesville High School
CBIC Entrepreneur of the Year
- Mark Kester of UVA
- Baron Schwartz of VIvidCortex
- Jeff Tennery of Moonlighting
CBIC Innovator of the Year
- Dr. Benton Calhoun of PsiKick https://www.linkedin.com/in/benton-calhoun-ba695566/
- ChartIQ http://chartiq.com
- Mission Secure, Inc. http://www.missionsecure.com
CBIC Social Good
- Community Investment Collaborative http://www.cicville.org/
- MadiDrop PBC http://madidrop.com/
- ReinventED Lab http://www.reinventedlab.org/
CBIC Startup of the Year
- Borrowed & Blue https://www.borrowedandblue.com/
- Center for Open Science https://cos.io/
- Contraline http://contraline.com/
CBIC Student Entrepreneur/Student Startup Venture of the Year
CBIC Top Job Creator of the Year
- Apex Clean Energy http://www.apexcleanenergy.com/
- Center for Open Science https://cos.io/
- WillowTree, Inc. https://www.willowtreeapps.com/
Date: Thursday, May 18, 2017
Time: 5:15 – 10:00 p.m.
- 5:15 - 7 p.m. Cocktail Reception Featuring Innovators Row
- 7:00 - 9:30 p.m. Awards Ceremony
- 9:30 – 10:00 p.m. Coffee, Cocktails and Conversation
Location: Boar's Head Inn Pavilion, 200 Ednam Dr., Charlottesville, VA 22903
Advance Tickets: http://cvilleinnovation.org/awards. Rates increase May 1. Tickets to the gala are NOT available at the door.
Other: Cocktail and business dressy attire is appropriate. A cash bar is available throughout the event, which does accept credit cards, and, new this year, advanced drink tickets are also available online.
ABOUT CBIC: Educate, Advocate and Celebrate
As the region's technology council, CBIC promotes innovation and entrepreneurship and supports growth and success among the Charlottesville region's technology-focused organizations. CBIC provides a forum for ideas and a collective voice on behalf of the technology sector. Through collaborative partnerships, educational resources and strategic relationships, CBIC enhances, publicizes, and champions technology initiatives that strengthen economic and social vitality in our area.
For more information, please visit our website at CvilleInnovation.org, follow us on Twitter at @CBICouncil, and follow the 2017 CBIC Awards Gala at #CBICGala #CVilleTech.